- Most of us are aware that first Indian sound movie was Alam Ara but we are unaware of the fact that the First Hindi film in colour was Kisan Kanya(1937) by Ardeshir Irani who also directed Alam Ara.
- The theme of reincarnation was relatively unheard in the western cinema the indian movie Madhumati (1958), directed by Bimal Roy and written by Ritwik Ghatak, popularised it, and now there have been 100s of films in Bollywood as well as in Hollywood.
- Guru Dutt was mostly overlooked in his lifetime and his movies were termed average by the general audiences and critics likewise. He belatedly generated international recognition much later in the 1980s.
- Baz Luhrmannthe director of Academy award nominated movie Moulin Rouge! (2001) stated that the movie was directly inspired by Bollywood musicals. The film had a Bollywood-style dance sequence with a song from the film China Gate.
- A Musical version of Hum Aapke Hain Kouncalled Bombay Dreams written by R. Rahman and directed by Andrew Lloyd has played in London’s West End.